Vincenzo Cosenza released a World Map of Social Networks, detailing the dominance of social networks worldwide. Based on data available via Alexa and Google trends the map displays which social network is most present where in the world.
Some interesting things can be learned from the analysis.
- Facebook has almost colonized Europe and itâ€™s extending its domination with more than 200 millions users
- QQ, leader in China, is the largest social network of the world (300 millions active accounts)
- MySpace lost its leadership everywhere (except in Guam)
- V Kontakte is the most popular in Russian territories
- Orkut is strong in India and Brazil
- Hi5 is still leading in Peru, Colombia, Ecuador and other scattered countries such as Portugal, Mongolia, Romania
- Odnoklassniki is strong in some former territories of the Soviet Union
- Maktoob is the most important Arab community/portal
More at Vinco’s Blog.